The world of apologetics is not limited to the Internet. There are many good print and video resources on the Catholic Faith and Christian beliefs. Below are some recommended books, journals, magazines, and visual resources that readers might find of interest. Some are cited in the blog posts, while others give a more in-depth examination of topics we’ve discussed.
I will update this list every so often, as I become aware of more resources, so check back often!
Also, I’m not going to worry about alphabetizing the list. Too much work. I will, however, divide books into sub categories for easier reference.
JOURNALS and MAGAZINES
Faith and Reason – The official academic journal of Christendom College, started just prior to the college’s founding in the mid-1970s. Though no longer in print, some old issues seem available for purchase through Amazon and similar sites and some articles from the journal are available through http://www.catholicculture.org. Further information is available from the following address:
Editor, Christendom Press
134 Christendom Drive
Front Royal, VA 22630
The Catholic Answer – Published by Our Sunday Visitor Press, this bimonthly magazine addresses all areas of Catholic life. More information is available here.
- General Reference/Apologetics
- Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Compendium to the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
- Deninger, Henri, ed. The Sources of Catholic Dogma – Offers segments of key documents outside the Scriptures that provide the basis for the Church’s teaching on pretty much everything. Ignatius Press published an updated version recently that covers the time from the earliest days of the Church through the writings of Pope Benedict XVI.
- Ott, Ludwig. Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma
- Pinto, Matthew J. Did Adam and Eve Have Belly Buttons? And 199 Other Questions from Catholic Teenagers.
- Welborn, Amy. Prove It! God. – Good for Teens
- Lewis, C. S. The Problem with Pain.
- Benedict XVI. Jesus of Nazareth (3 Volumes)
- Church History/Lives of the Saints
- Carroll, Warren H. A History of Christendom series. – Covers Salvation history from Genesis through the pontificate of Benedict XVI.
- Haffner, Paul. The Sacramental Mystery
- Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church – Everything you need to know about the Church’s Social Doctrines.
- John Paul II. Evangelium Vitae
- O’Donnell, Timothy T. Heart of the Redeemer – On the history and theology of the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
- Cuddeback, John. Friendship: The Art of Happiness [re-published as True Friendship: Where Virtue Becomes Happiness] – Looks at the importance of good friendships in forming a whole person.
- Culture/Fictional Works
- Tolkien, J. R. R. The Lord of the Rings – Epic fantasy novel that shows just how great a Catholic writer can be when he takes seriously the battle between good and evil.
- Greene, Graham. The Power and the Glory – Set in early twentieth-century Mexico, the book follows a “whiskey priest” who is a drunkard, has an illegitimate child, and provides one of the greatest portrayals of the Catholic priesthood in modern fiction.
Catholicism – A 10-part DVD program written and hosted by Fr. Robert Barron of Word on Fire. Segments of the series are available on Youtube, as are other video discussions by Fr. Barron.