Matthew B. Rose is the chairman of the religion department at Bishop Denis J. O’Connell Catholic High School in Arlington, VA. He holds a BA in History and English Language & Literature from Christendom College and a MA in Systematic Theology from the Notre Dame Graduate School of Christendom College. Since 2008, Matthew has taught courses in History (both secular and sacred), Theology (pretty much everything), and English at several Catholic parish and high schools.
His undergraduate and graduate theses are not yet published. Those interested in reading said theses should contact Christendom College (undergraduate) or the Notre Dame Graduate School of Christendom College.
English Language and Literature Thesis – “A Wilderness of Dragons”: The Legacy of the Germanic Dragon as a Literary Motif. – Director: Dr. Robert C. Rice
History Thesis – Paddy’s Jubilation: The Wide-ranging Patriotism of Irish-Americans in the North During the American Civil War. – Director: Dr. Christopher Shannon
Graduate Thesis – “Servus Servorum Dei”: Papalogy in the Teachings and Lives of Pope Sts. Leo I, Gregory I, & Nicholas I and Bl. Pope John Paul II. – Director: Steve Weidenkopf
I write and speak regularly for various groups and online publications. Below is a sample of some of my non-Quidquid work. Please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- “Silent Visions in the Rain: The Amazing Apparition of Our Lady of Knock”
- “BYOB: Bring Your Own Bible – Why You Need a REAL Bible”
Stories and Poems
Talks/Series I’ve Given
With St. Veronica’s Young Adult Ministry
- “The Genealogy of Jesus” – Focused on the Genealogy of Matthew’s Gospel and the Old Testament ancestors of Christ
- Book Study: When the Church was Young: Voices of the Early Fathers by Marcellino D’Ambrosio – part seminar, part lecture series about the Fathers of the Church
- Scripture study: St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans – included a background lecture on St. Paul’s life
For high school teachers in the Diocese of Arlington, Virginia
- “Our Father as a Prayer for Teachers”
- “Christ at the Center: Teaching History from a Christian Perspective”
At the 2016 Tolkien Society Seminar
- “Tolkien and the Battle of the Somme” – video recording of the talk
At Pope Francis’s Vision for the Renewal of the Church at Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio.
- “Memory and the Family: Pope Francis’s Vision of History” – essay version of the talk, published at Homiletic and Pastoral Review.
At the 25th Anniversary Conference for the Society of Catholic Social Scientists, held at Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio.
- “‘Truth Exists. The Incarnation Happened’: Warren H. Carroll’s Catholic Historiography” – Essay forthcoming in Volume 23 of the Catholic Social Science Review